Summers means vacations for children and a leisure time for families. Why not plan for summer holidays around Chennai. There are beautiful tourist places which can exhilarate your mood and can leave you with unlimited memories, fun and tranquil.
Few of the many weekend destinations near Chennai for a perfect holiday includes Mahabalipuram, Pondicherry, Wayanad, Coorg, Thiruvanamalai, Masinaguda-Madumalai, Yelagiri hills, Thanjavur and Tirupati.
1. Pondicherry, currently known as Puducherry is one of the most peaceful holiday destination around Chennai. Just at a distance of 160 kms from Chennai and a 2-3 hour’s drive from Chennai, makes it easily accessible holiday destination for everyone including children and elderly. It is a beautiful combination of the heritage of the Portuguese and Tamil.
2. Puducherry museum, forts and churches will make you feel you are back in the Portuguese reign, while the Sri Aurobindo ashram will give you complete peace of mind and you will return home energised and refreshed, all within your budget accommodation and a lavish food to feast on.
3. Yelagiri Hills is a beautiful hill station just 3-4 hour’s drive from Chennai. With lush green valleys, rose gardens the natural scenic beauty, you can be completely mesmerized and relaxed from the scorching heat and tensions of the city life. A perfect romantic destination with popular sightseeing options like Velvan temple, Swamimalai hills, Punganoor and Jalagamparai will leave you completely mesmerized.
4. Visiting Chennai is incomplete without staying in Mahabalipuram. Yes, it is the nearest tourist place from Chennai measuring just 60 kms which can be reached in just 1-2 hour’s drive. The culture and history both resides in Mahabalipuram making it a perfect tourist attraction. The rich ancient monuments describe the Mahabharata incidents, the sculptures present in Mahabalipuram reflects the Dravidian and Buddhist architecture.
5. Mahabalipuram which is surrounded by the beaches and ancient history gives the chance of discovering ancient history along with delicious food and relaxing beaches. The major attractions include Shore temple, Bhagiratha’s penance, Thirukadalmallai, Panch Rathas, Varaha Cave temple, Krishna’s butterball and the Light house.
The stay in Mahabalipuram can be very safe and pocket friendly due to the presence of lodges and hotels which suites everyone’s pocket. You can also enjoy boat rides, trekking, turtle walk and fishing here along with shopping stone sculptures which are pretty reasonable.
6. Coorg, the Scotland of India is well known for coffee plantations, lush green forests, wildlife, rivers and the picturesque sceneries thus becoming a favourite summer destination for nature lovers, sports lovers and also history enthusiasts. 600 kms from Chennai, it is a perfect destination for an affordable, rejoicing and memorable holiday.
With abundant flora and fauna and greenery round the year, Wayanad is a famous summer holiday destination for nature lovers, adventure and wildlife lovers. The Soochipara Falls, Pookode Lake, Edakkal Caves and national park are some of the important tourist attractions which will provide a nature thrill, boating, and wildlife exposure.
Other destinations around Chennai are Thiruvanamalai which is famous for ashrams and hills, Masinaguda-Madumalai for national parks and waterfalls and many more for your majestic and mesmerizing summer holidays.